The practice of Chiropody is the assessment of the foot and the treatment and prevention of diseases or disorders of the foot by therapeutic, surgical, orthotic and palliative means.
Chiropody is practiced by qualified, regulated practitioners who have undergone government established and recognized programs and examinations.
Chiropody is a branch of medical science that involves the assessment and management of foot and lower limb disorders. This includes the management of a wide variety of disorders, injuries and local manifestations of systemic conditions.
Foot deformities, infections and injuries not only limit your mobility, but can detrimentally affect your knees, hips and other parts of the body.
A Chiropodist is also a primary health care professional practicing a medical specialty focusing on foot and foot-related (eg. leg, knee, hip, and lower back) lower extremity medicine that specializes in assessment, management and prevention of diseases and disorders of their parts and their relationships to one another.
An essential member of the inter professional healthcare team, the Chiropodist is skilled in assessing the needs of their patients and of managing both chronic and acute conditions affecting foot and lower limb function. As a primary care provider capable of independent clinical practice, these skills are often practiced independently but work very well in association with referring physicians as a “health care team”.
What does a Chiropodist do?
The role of the Chiropodist is to maintain and improve patient mobility, to alleviate foot pain, provide health education and thereby improving one’s quality of life. A Chiropodist provides care to a diverse range of patients and can specialize in the following areas:
• Prescribe Custom Foot Orthotics & Orthopaedic Footwear
• Recommend Medical Compression Stockings for Poor Lower Extremity Circulation
• Diabetic Foot Care
* Sports-Related Overuse Injuries related to poor foot mechanics ( e.g. Plantar Fasciitis- Heel Spur Syndrome, Metatarsalgia, Morton’s Neuroma, Shin Splints, Patella Femoral Syndrome-Knee Pain, Hip and Lower Back pain)
* PodoPediatrics (children’s feet)
* Biomechanical and Gait Analysis
• Computerized foot scanning
• Treatment of nail conditions, callouses & corns
* Ingrown Nail Surgery
* Wound Care